FP&M Employee Updates: COVID-19

Please use this site as a resource for the most up-to-date information around how FP&M staff and operations are affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

  • Refer to the COVID-19 site maintained by University Relations for the most current campus news.
  • If the information on this page conflicts with the campus website or guidance from state, local, and federal agencies, then use that information.

Ask your own employee question here. We will be monitoring question submissions regularly and working to respond to questions as quickly as possible.

Health and Safety

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What should I do to stay safe and healthy at work?

Continue to practice physical distancing and follow these healthy habits for prevention.

Should I wear a face covering or a mask?

Both campus and FP&M have provided guidance for wearing face coverings (cloth or disposable masks, surgical/procedure masks, and respirators).

Last updated: May 14, 2020

How will lump sum payments for essential onsite employees work?

The Risk & Retention Performance Bonus Program is designed to recognize essential employees who worked on campus during the initial phase of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last updated: May 19, 2020

Employee Resources

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How do I access my earnings statement (paystub)?

You can access your earning statement on the MyUW Portal via the Payroll Information tile.

Here is a KB topic for logging into MyUW to access your earning statement.

What emergency leave is available to me?

You may be eligible for emergency leave. Please refer to the guide for leave types for details and eligibility. If you have questions around which leave you may qualify for, please contact Kula Yang.

How can I contact human resources?

Currently, the FP&M human resources office is not accepting walk-ins. You may make an appointment with Human Resources using the contact information at the bottom of this page.

Where can I find an FP&M phone list?

The Telecom Portal has the most updated phone list for all FP&M employees. Click on the “View Phone Lists” link in the upper right corner of the screen to search for an area. As a reminder, please forward your office phone to make sure folks can reach you.

What resources are there to work from home?

See Work-From-Home/Telecommuting page for FP&M employees.

This page provides access to helpful tools for adapting to your work environment, including how to forward your phone, getting VPN access, video-conferencing tools, and the technology you need. More information is added as it becomes available.

Can I order office supplies for my home office?

Yes, you may order office supplies using the following procedure:

  1. Shop at Staples
  2. Send item details to your supervisor including your home address and department UDDS, if you know it.
  3. Your supervisor will email information to Kathy Bear (kathy.bear@wisc.edu)
  4. Kathy will order on your behalf and coordinate with you directly.

Furlough and Work-Share

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How do I enter my furlough time?

It is very important to log furlough days properly for compliance reasons. Logging furlough time is different for University Staff and Academic staff.


Use Time Sheet Tracking to enter leave

  • Go to Inside FP&M > Tools > Time Sheet Tracking
  • Use furlough code “LWOPF” on the daily time screen in Time Tracking.


Use MyUW to enter leave

Academic Staff employees that are paid monthly must enter all time and absences through MyUW. See the Academic Staff job aid PDF for screenshots of this process.

1. Select the Time and Absence tile

2. Enter your time in two places: the Timesheet tab and the Request Absence tab

  • TIMESHEET Tab: Enter time for all days worked during the week in which the furlough time is used. (See screenshots of this process in this Timesheet job aid for academic staff paid monthly)
    • On the dates furlough is used, enter FURLM for whole days.
    • For the remainder of the days in that week, enter the FUREG code in the time sheet for hours worked.
  • REQUEST ABSENCE Tab: for monthly time entry, select “COVID FURLOUGH“ under the Absence Name drop-down menu.


Furlough should be entered as soon as it is taken.  The monthly payroll calculation dates vary every month.

  • Furlough must be entered and approved one day before the payroll calc date to ensure the furlough deduction is taken on the correct check.
  • Furlough taken in May must be entered and approved by 05/20/20.
  • Furlough taken in June must be entered and approved by 06/17/20.
  • Furlough taken in July must be entered and approved by 07/15/20.
  • Furlough taken in August must be entered and approved by 08/24/20.
  • Furlough taken in September must be entered and approved by 09/23/20.

If you have questions on furlough entry, please email benefits@fpm.wisc.edu.

What are the different types of furlough/work-share?

When do campus furlough programs take effect?

All furlough and work-share programs will begin on May 17. See more information in this printable handout.

How will I be notified of my furlough/work-share status?

For employees who are part of the DWD Work-Share program, notice was sent via USPS and email.

For employees in Position Specific Furloughs – full or partial, notice was sent via USPS and email.

For employees in Campus-wide Intermittent Furloughs, notice was sent via email ONLY.  If an employee would like a hard copy
mailed to them, supervisors can email the individual’s name and EMPL ID to fpmhr@fpm.wisc.edu.

Updated 5/21/20

You will be notified first via an email from FP&M Human Resources.

A second, more detailed and individualized letter, will be sent both by email and USPS mail.

Where can I find details about campus furlough programs?

Campus leadership and the Office of Human resources have put together this site. We recommend you take time to review and check back on this site regularly.

Available in multiple languages.

What is a Work-Share program?

Campus work units may implement a Work-Share program that involves the reduction of employees’ work hours.

This allows the university to retain skilled employees during times of budget emergencies or work slowdown by reducing work hours, with employees able to supplement lost wages with unemployment benefits.

If you are placed in the Work-Share program you will maintain your employment as a UW−Madison employee and you are not included in the Campus-wide, Intermittent Furloughs.

For more details, visit the UW Office of Human Resources.

What is a Campus-Wide, Intermittent Furlough?

Employees placed in campus-wide Intermittent Furlough will take unpaid furlough days between May 15 and October 31, 2020. The number of furlough days is based on an employee’s annual salary. See this table for more information.

For more details, visit the UW Office of Human Resources.

Should I file for unemployment?

If you received a letter from FP&M Human Resources notifying you that you’re part of the Work-Share program or Fully Furloughed, you can apply for unemployment benefits beginning on May 17, 2020.

To help employees needing to apply for unemployment, please see the Where can I find out more about unemployment FAQ entry below for step-by-step printable guides in all languages.

If you are part of the Campus-wide, Intermittent Furloughs, you are most likely not eligible for unemployment benefits.

Where can I get help applying for unemployment? (translated guides)

After you have determined that you are eligible for unemployment, use the following guides to apply (provided by the UW Office of Human Resources, in all languages). If you don’t know, please take time to review this FAQ document from the UW Office of Human Resources.


Can I decide when to take my furlough days?

Furlough days should be requested like vacation days. A maximum of one per week can be taken and do require the approval of your supervisor.

It is very important to log furlough days properly for compliance purposes. See FAQ “How do I enter my furlough time” for details and instructions! These are different for University staff and Academic staff.

How do furlough days work with legal holidays?

Position-Specific Furlough

  • Employees on Position-Specific Furlough will continue to earn vacation, personal holiday, and sick leave during furlough.
  • Employees who are placed in full furlough and are not working will not receive pay for any fixed legal holidays during furlough, but they will accrue floating holidays. This year, July 4 will be a floating holiday.
  • Employees who are placed on partial furlough and are working will receive holiday pay at their regular allocation.
  • An employee may not use vacation leave, banked leave, sick leave, or personal holiday leave while on furlough to offset the unpaid leave.

Work-Share Program

  • Employees who are placed on Work-Share and are working will accrue holidays at their regular allocation. 
  • If Memorial Day falls within their scheduled work hours, then they would list the legal holiday on their time sheet for that day.  If they are not scheduled to work on Monday, that holiday becomes a floating holiday.
Campus-wide Intermittent Furlough
  • Memorial Day rules: Employees who are part of Campus-wide, Intermittent Furlough can take furlough days on both the Friday before and the Tuesday after Memorial Day and receive holiday pay. 
  • For other legal holidays:  Stay tuned for further guidance.

For more details, visit the UW Office of Human Resources.

Updated 5/22/20

How do furlough programs impact my benefits?

Campus has put together this guide for detailed information on benefit impacts throughout this time.

How will I know my furlough or work-share status?

Check your work email and postal mail at your home mailing address for a letter from FP&M Human Resources.

Furlough and work-share programs began on May 17, 2020.

Is UW COVID-19 leave still in effect?

The UW-Madison COVID-19 Leave is available only through May 15, 2020.

Some employees will be able to make up for their lost wages via unemployment benefits starting on May 17, 2020. See more information in this printable handout.

What is the Employee Emergency Loan Program?

UW-Madison has established an emergency loan program to provide assistance to employees experiencing financial hardship because they have been placed on Position-Specific Furlough or are working reduced-hours in a Work-Share program. If eligible, employees can apply to receive a 0% interest loan that can help them now. Loans must be paid back to the University over time. Learn more and see translated info on the UW Division of Business Services website.

How do I apply for a 0% interest loan through the Emergency Loan Program?

Campus Reopening

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

When will campus fully reopen?

Campus is currently developing plans for reopening campus, which will likely happen in distinct phases. There are a number of factors to consider, primarily the health and safety of our campus community. We anticipate more details during May 2020.

We also keep a current view on FP&M operational status which guides on-site staffing needs.

When can I return to my office or work location?

If you are currently not working on campus, you will be notified by your supervisor when and how you will return to work.

Campus is working on a phased approach to bring employees back. This will largely depend on the nature of your work and campus operational status.

What is the current status of FP&M operations?

FP&M continues to maintain essential services throughout campus. Check this page for the current operational status.

Employee Notification for COVID-19 Cases on Campus

This FAQ material is also available as a single PDF suitable for printing.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Who is responsible for managing COVID-19 cases?

Federal, state, and local public health agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), and Public Health Madison and Dane County (PHMDC) are responsible for the management of COVID-19 cases. 

What rules govern how information about COVID-19 cases can be communicated?

Communication about COVID-19 cases is governed by both the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

What happens when a university employee tests positive for COVID-19?

If an employee tests positive for COVID-19, PHMDC is informed of the positive test. PHMDC then reaches out to anyone who may have been exposed to the individual who tested positive.

If I test positive for COVID-19, do I have to inform the university?

Employees who test positive for COVID-19 are not required to inform the university of their diagnosis, but should follow the standard absence reporting procedure within their unit.

If I test positive for COVID-19, what should I do?

Follow the guidance you receive from your healthcare provider and public health officials. 

What should I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

Anyone who is sick, including with symptoms of COVID-19, should stay home. This applies to all employees, including essential workers. Employees who develop symptoms at work should immediately go home. Call your healthcare provider.

How will I know if I have been exposed to an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19?

PHMDC reaches out to anyone who may have been exposed to the individual who tested positive. If you are not contacted by PHMDC, public health authorities have determined that you were not a direct contact at risk of exposure. 

What should I do if I have been exposed to an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19?

Follow the guidance you receive from your healthcare provider and public health officials. 

What should I do if I think I’ve been exposed to someone who has COVID-19?

If you think you have been exposed, you should self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19, which include cough and shortness of breath or at least two of the following: fever, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell.

Do essential employees still have to report work if a co-worker has tested positive for COVID-19?

Essential employees who work on a team, in a building, or in a department with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 are still required to report to work unless otherwise informed by either public health officials or FP&M management, or if they are sick or  have been advised  by a healthcare provider to self-isolate.

What information can the university release to other employees or the public about COVID-19 cases?

Both HIPAA and ADA limit the amount of information that can be released by public health agencies, the university, or by FP&M management. For more details, consult this KB topic.

How will the university clean the areas where employees who have tested positive for COVID-19 work?

Buildings frequented by an employee who tests positive for COVID-19 are evaluated for additional cleaning and disinfection in accordance with CDC guidance.

If an employee has tested positive for COVID-19 and worked while contagious, the university may exercise an abundance of caution and perform a cleaning and disinfection of areas used by that individual. Additionally, the areas where the employee worked will be closed off and not reopened until the cleaning and disinfecting have been completed. Building occupants will not be allowed in the potentially impacted areas until the cleaning and disinfection have been completed or occupancy has been cleared by Environment, Health & Safety.

  • Critical space requiring immediate or near-immediate access: Wait as long as possible before starting to clean and disinfect the space in accordance with CDC recommendations.
  • Other spaces: Wait at least 24 hours before starting to clean and disinfect the space in accordance with CDC recommendations. If spaces can be left undisturbed for seven days, no additional action is required (this is the preferred solution for private offices).
  • The cleaning response to large outbreaks in a particular facility will be addressed on a case-by-case basis by Environment, Health & Safety.

Unconfirmed cases of COVID-19 will generally be treated similarly to other routine illnesses in the workplace. As an additional precaution and when practical, it is recommended that the areas potentially impacted by the symptomatic employee be closed off. If possible, entrances to these areas should be restricted for at least 72 hours from the last time the employee was in the building. A standard cleaning should follow the 72-hour waiting period.

Human Resources Contacts

Sue Fritts

Director of Human Resources


Rebecca Rohde

Payroll & Benefits Supervisor


Dawn Bierman

Recruitment Specialist


Kong Thao

Human Resources Generalist


Alicia Meyer

Organizational Development & Training Manager


Maddie Walsh

Human Resources Administrator


Mike Loggie

Benefits & Onboarding


Kula Yang

Associate Workforce Relations Specialist