If an employee is unable to use either their personal holiday hours or vacation carryover balance during the COVID-19 pandemic, the employee will not lose those balances when they would typically expire: December 31, 2020 (for University Staff), or June 30, 2020 (for Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited Appointments).
Instead, the employee’s personal holiday hours and/or vacation carryover balance will remain available until December 31, 2021 (for University Staff), or available until June 30, 2021 (for Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited Appointments).
Annual Banked Leave Conversion for University Staff
The University Staff Annual Leave Conversion is an opportunity to make a choice to bank unused vacation carryover or unused current year vacation. This needs to be completed by submitting the appropriate form no later than December 4, 2020. Read on to learn about your options, eligibility, and how to complete the Banked Leave Conversion form.
University staff employees can choose to convert banked leave via one of these options:
- Bank unused vacation carryover and/or current year vacation in a banked leave account
- Receive cash
- A combination of both #1 and #2. (Formally known as the Sabbatical processing)
The options available depend on your eligibility.
University Staff* are eligible for different leave conversion options based upon their annual leave earning rate.
- Annual leave earning rate of 160, 176, or 184 hours may elect to convert not more than 40 hours.
- Annual leave earning rate of 200 hours may elect to convert not more than 80 hours of which not more than 40 hours may be paid in cash.
- Annual leave earning rate of 216 hours may elect to convert not more than 120 hours of which not more than 40 may be paid in cash.
- Employees with less than the 160 hour rate may elect to receive not more than 40 hours if they have accumulated at least 520 hours of sick leave by the time the eligibility file is created. This is a permanent eligibility. Once met, employees will retain this threshold.
*Crafts Workers are not eligible to bank leave*
For more information, consult the Vacation HR policy.
Complete Banked Leave Conversion Form
After you know your leave conversion eligibility it is time to complete the annual Banked Leave Conversion Form. The banked leave conversion forms are available online at MyUW (my.wisc.edu) > Time and Absence > Leave Reports.
- Complete the banked leave conversion form.
- Sign the form.
- Send the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to Rebecca Rohde’s mailbox at 30 N Mills Street, 3rd floor by 12/04/20.
University Staff employees who have questions can watch this short (7 minute) video about the 3 main components of the Annual Leave Conversion Option Form and how to complete it correctly.
The video works best in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Firefox (the video may not work in Internet Explorer).